Active Youth Planet (AYp) is a climate-focused team of Active Youth Association (AY) – a for-purpose organisation working with youth and communities in need in Lithuania and across borders.
- AYp mission is to educate people about sustainability and better choices for the climate
- AYp vision: to lead the change in climate-friendly behaviour (of citizens, NGOs, businesses) and policies in Lithuania
AY has been actively involved in local and international (youth) projects since 2014. Up until now, the organization has successfully implemented (getting just the highest scores from the evaluators) more than 60 separate project actions on its own (and several times that as a partner). What is more, our NGO has built up a large partnership network worldwide (more than 700 organisations) and belongs to Lithuania’s Youth Board (LiJOT) (a platform for dialogue with decision-makers). All of that can be used for the current project.
In whatever activity we carry out, we follow our 3 core principles:
- Sustainability – seeking sustainable impact over the long-term
- Compassion – being open & compassionate to target groups & other stakeholders
- Can-do attitude – seeing opportunities rather than problems
Surely, it’s easy to list these values on paper and a lot harder to follow them through in real life.
That is why we focus extensively on having the right team for every project. The people we will be working with (in the current project) are professionals with relevant experience and a record of success (whether in youth work and/or environment/climate fields). We also rely on a deep pool of volunteers (over 1000) and potential partners to ensure: 1) the project’s implementation goes smoothly; 2) the dissemination efforts reach the specified target groups.
The projects AYp takes on, as a rule, focus on demanding and sensitive issues (e.g. plastic waste). Hence, we look forward to the challenges offered by the current project.
Active Youth Association has lengthy experience in running Erasmus+ projects. Therefore, we know how to chip in at all the steps of the project, starting with the application itself and finishing with result dissemination. We have carried out projects that have focused on ecology, cycling, food waste and others (see below).
Sustainable development is our greatest aspiration and non-formal education is a key to promote it. AYp is encouraging young people to take action and lead eco-lifestyle by:
- raising awareness and building capacity among youth on climate change;
- Encouraging pro-environmental behaviour;
- enhancing international cooperation and knowledge-sharing among organisations;
- strengthening the participation of youth in environmental and climate decision-making processes.
A few concrete examples:
- Erasmus+ youth exchange “Eco-Friendly Europe”, united young adults to tackle/address environmental problems that are acute in the participating countries. Participants were discussing and searching solutions for making our lives more sustainable and friendlier to the environment.
- Erasmus+ youth exchange “Cycle and the City” mission was to promote cycling as a healthy, sustainable and fun alternative to cars.
- Erasmus+ Capacity Building in the field of youth “Save The Ocean” has a goal to take a small step towards better habits & cleaner ocean. It raises awareness about existing issues and involves youth into the creation of a sustainable world
- Erasmus+ Capacity Building in the field of youth “The Circle of Fashion” – The project aim is to introduce people to sustainable/ethical fashion, conscious clothing and to show possible ways to protect the environment.
- Erasmus+ KA205 “Wear(e)able” supports the wave of commitment by young people and focuses on environmental protection with the issue of sustainable clothing.
- F*CK CO2 platform – It’s a platform that allows you to donate to a project that reduces our CO2 footprint by hundreds of thousands of kilograms.
Our aim is, by definition, to not just address the issue, but also inform the local communities about 1) the benefits of such projects; and 2) the seriousness of the issues being brought to light. For that reason, AYp pays attention to every detail and carries out the full spectrum of activities – from early research to implementation and result dissemination. Such an approach & competencies are relevant for any project.
The key person involved in this application is the board member of AY – Gediminas Kondrackis. He is accompanied by other staff of the association, who all have international experience.
Our staff are young leaders, who developed during their studies & life in different European countries. This has not only given them a strong (formal and non-formal) educational basis but has also taught them how to communicate with people coming from different cultural and social backgrounds.
The key staff involved have been part of all the previous activities of the association. Therefore, they have the necessary knowledge to chip into the current project as well.
Through their other endeavours, they have:
- Led seminars for youth about Eco-friendly living
- Educated youth about Erasmus+ & ESC opportunities
- Organized international competitions, social inclusion events of foreigners to the local community, and several sports events encouraging a healthy lifestyle.
- In addition, they have participated in previous ‘Youth in Action’ & Erasmus+ youth exchanges, training courses about ecological sustainability and other environmental initiatives.
All of this has given them a range of skills and competencies usable for the current project.